France's oldest patisserie, 2ème arr.

Layers of chocolate pastry, cinnamon infused chocolate mousse and fig and raspberry couli > the Storher patisserie, 51 rue Montorgueil, since 1730 > the organ at the Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral*


Here’s a patisserie with 280 years of baking under it’s belt. The chef’s recommendations: “the baba au rhum, which was invented here**, and the chocolate éclair, rated the third best éclair in Paris”. Third best? I don’t think so***. “I’ll go with the baba… and one of the little chocolate cakes please.” The baba didn’t survive long enough to make it into the photo shoot so I can only show you the chaser. As for the number one éclairs in Paris, I have the address... I’ll be reporting back shortly.

* The cathedral puts on beautiful organ recitals every Sunday. A perfect setting for digesting baked goods.
** It’s a sweet cake-like bread saturated in rum and topped off with cream.  It kind of tastes like churros dipped in rum.
*** To be fair, depending on who you ask, Stohrer arguably make the best éclairs in Paris. But I wasn’t taking any chances.


No comments:

Post a Comment